Creighton University, J.D.
Creighton University, M.S., Government Organization and Leadership
Florida International University, B.A., Political Science
Michael is a committed litigation attorney with a passion for taking on complex cases. Businesses and individuals faced with challenging legal issues value Michael’s sound judgment, integrity, and meticulous preparation as a counselor and advocate. A natural strategic thinker and dedicated practitioner, Michael offers clients skillful, responsive representation in a broad range of legal matters.
Significant matters include:
- Prevailed at a bench trial in a civil theft case, obtaining a judgment award of statutory treble damages on two counts
- Secured a full recovery on behalf of a high-profile professional athlete in a breach of contract action
- Successfully represented a local financial institution in several residential and preferred ship mortgage foreclosure and replevin actions
- Worked to achieve a favorable global resolution for a real estate investor faced with lawsuits from a municipality, institutional lender, and contractor related to a troubled construction project in an exclusive South Florida enclave
- Litigated complex derivative actions to enforce the rights of oppressed shareholders
In addition to litigating a broad range of commercial and real estate matters, Michael has effectively represented clients in personal injury litigation, residential and commercial landlord/tenant litigation, and general tort litigation. He is most fond of a case in which he represented a hardworking couple who fell victim to a predatory scheme, losing thousands of dollars. Michael prevailed at a bench trial and secured a judgment against the perpetrator for over sevenfold the amount stolen from the clients. He then diligently pursued collection, resulting in an agreement that ensured full satisfaction of the judgment for the clients.
Prior to joining Heise Suarez Melville, Michael practiced at a Miami law firm representing individuals and businesses ranging from local family firms to Fortune 500 companies in commercial and personal injury litigation throughout Florida.
In law school, Michael clerked for a prominent South Florida litigator and completed a legislative fellowship in Washington D.C., during which he analyzed proposed tax and gun legislation and worked on federal emergency relief initiatives for a congressional office. Michael earned his Juris Doctor and a Master of Science in Government Organization and Leadership from Creighton University.
A Miami native, Michael is fluent in Spanish. He is an avid runner and fisherman.